1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Divorce
  4.  | Appeals And Post-Judgment Relief

Helping You Appeal Unfavorable Divorce Results

If you and your spouse are unable to reach an agreement regarding the terms of your divorce, it will be necessary to litigate the matter in court. In some cases, the decision made by the court may have an adverse effect on your life.

However, you have the right to appeal a lower court decision. At the law firm of Carolann M. Aschoff, P.C., our lawyers help people with appeals and post-judgment relief in New Jersey. We can help those who are seeking payments pursue an enforcement order, as well as represent individuals who have experienced a change in circumstances seek a modification to a divorce agreement.

An initial court determination is not necessarily the final word. Contact us online, call our Jersey City or our Bayonne office at 201-793-7739, or our West Caldwell office at 973-200-4892 to discuss your situation.

Appeals Court Representation

In order to successfully appeal the decision made by a lower court, you must show that a mistake was made or show an abuse of process by the court. This can be high hurdle to clear. Our attorneys will thoroughly review your initial case to determine whether a judge may have misapplied the law to the facts of your case.

If we determine that there are issues that can be appealed, we will prepare a thorough appellate brief that will present our most persuasive arguments on your behalf. We represent clients whose divorce cases we initially handled, as well as clients who were represented by other counsel at the trial level.

Motions For Reconsideration And Motions To Vacate

An appeal is not the only means of addressing an unsatisfying lower court judgment. The legal team at the law firm of Carolann M. Aschoff, P.C., can also file motions for reconsideration and motions to vacate final judgment or orders. These legal maneuvers are typically used if new evidence is uncovered or if a judgment was based on a mistake of law or fact.

Unlike appeals, these motions will usually be heard by the judge who handled your initial case. We will help determine the best option for your situation.

Contact Us For Help With Motions For Reconsideration

If you are unhappy with your initial family court ruling, get in touch with us. Contact our attorneys online to schedule an appointment to discuss your case. Remember, you only have 20 days from the date of the final order or judgment to file a motion for reconsideration, and 45 days to file an appeal of a final judgment or order.