< November 2016 Archives | New Jersey Family Law Blog
Carolann M. Aschoff, P.C.

November 2016 Archives

Child custody issues surrounding relocating the children

At the time of a divorce, parents decide how they will split their parenting time based on the existing circumstances. However, one constant in life is that circumstances change. The custodial parent might want to move either within New Jersey or take the children to another state for work or some other reason. Unless the move does not interfere with the child custody arrangements made during the divorce, that parent cannot simply make a unilateral decision.

Is retirement still possible after a divorce?

Ending a marriage late in life often means that there are fewer years to rebound until one retires. New Jersey residents over the age of 50 who are contemplating divorce need to make sure that they deal with the issue of retirement carefully. In most cases, they need do what they can to preserve and build upon the retirement resources received from the marital estate.

When does New Jersey law say spousal support is appropriate?

When a marriage ends, each party is often concerned about how to move forward financially. Even if both parties are working, that does not mean that their salaries are equal and that each of them will have the same chance at a secure financial future. This is why New Jersey law provides for spousal support to be awarded under certain circumstances.

Paternity action saves man from unfair child support order

A story recently reported in the news highlights the importance of paternity actions. Even though Joe V. had not even seen his estranged wife for 15 years, he was suddenly served with a court order requiring him to pay child support for her new baby. Of course the child was not his, but Iowa law held him financially responsible for the child's welfare because he and his wife were technically still married. Many states assume paternity for any child born during the marriage, regardless of whether the couple was actually together or not. 

Did your ex-spouse fail to comply with the divorce settlement?

After spending weeks and perhaps months coming to an agreement to end your marriage, you expected your spouse to keep up his or her end of the bargain. Now, your ex-spouse is not complying with the divorce settlement. New Jersey law allows you to go back to court to enforce the settlement, or in the alternative, to modify the agreement if you -- or your ex-spouse -- are unable to comply with it due to a substantial change in your circumstances.

Honors and Memberships

Begin Your Consultation Today

For your convenience, we maintain locations in Jersey City, West Caldwell and Bayonne. For more information or to schedule an appointment with an experienced lawyer, email us or call 201-793-7739 or 973-200-4892.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Us

3279 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Phone: 201-793-7739
Fax: 201-653-8030
Jersey City Law Office Map

503 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Bayonne, NJ 07002

Phone: 201-793-7739
Fax: 201-653-8030
Map & Directions

1061 Bloomfield Ave.
West Caldwell, NJ 07006

Phone: 973-200-4892
Fax: 201-653-8030
Map & Directions